As you may know, we live in a two bedroom home with three children, which means shared bedrooms are a necessity. Our oldest two used to share a room while my husband and I co-slept with our baby. Since then, we decided to forfeit our bedroom for the sake of more sleep and eventually moved Eliana out of Elijah’s bedroom and into Isabelle’s room – the one that was previously our’s.
So, for about three months I’ve been in the process of making the girls’ bedroom super functional. One of the most crucial elements that we needed were curtains – specifically black-out curtains. Eliana had them in her previous bedroom with her brother, so it was important to get to blocking that sunlight as soon as possible to help her sleep through the night and into some of the morning. It was especially important since the previous curtains weren’t blocking any sort of light. (That broken chair wasn’t helping, either.)
I put my dad to work painting the room white (thanks, Dad!) and shortly after I got to work installing the curtains. I bought vintage fabric from a shop on Etsy, after coming across it while putting together this color crush post, and layered it on top of black-out fabric from Joann Fabrics. I upgraded the curtain rods to these oil-rubbed bronze rods from Target (which are the same type that are in our living room) and bought matching drapery rings.
To hem the curtains, I used Heat’n Bond’s iron on hem tape after eye-balling the length I wanted them. There are three panels total, neither of which are the same exact size. This panel in particular is slightly longer than I’d like it to be. I’m a selective perfectionist, so it’s really not a huge deal.
Basically, the curtains were a lifesaver. Sleeping in an extra thirty minutes may not seem significant but it really does make a difference. Besides hanging the curtains and painting the walls, I’ve also installed a wall of shelves to help tame toy clutter. Spoiler: the toys are still not tamed. Whenever said taming occurs, I’ll share pictures and details about the shelves.